English Name:- Cumin Seed.
Botanical Name:- Cuminum cyminum
Parts- Used:- Fruits
Habit:- An annual herb cultivated in fields. Branches are delicate and thin. Leaves thin
linear 2-3 at node. Flowers white minute in umbels. Fruits Cremocarp.
Chemical Constituents:- Fruits Contains:- A volatile oil. A simple oil which contains
Cumic aldelyde; this oil Can be converted into Thymol; Pentason is found in another,
permanent oil of this fruit; Also contains Vitamin ‘A’, ‘C’, and ‘D’.
Actions:- Stimulant, Astringent , Analgesic, Carminative, Aromatic, Digestive,
Used In:- Diarrhoea, Indigestion, Flatulance, Fever, Vomiting, Urinogenital system
disorder, Gonorrhoea, Calculii, Disuria, Anorexia, Dyisscrasia. Fruits are particularly
very useful in the indigestion of child.
• Its seeds increase digestion and removes intestinal gas.
• It is useful in curing respiratory disorders.
• Highly beneficial in treating insomnia.
• It maintains kidney health.
• It is good for breast feeding mothers and helps produce more milk because of iron and
calcium present in it.
• It is a good immunity booster and a care taker of general health.
• It improves metabolism.
• It regulates menstrual cycle.
• Its seeds are very useful to cure asthmaand other respiratory problems.
• Because of the presence of iron it cures anemia.
• It is useful for curing diabetes.
• It is rich in Vitamin A & B and cures night blindness.
• It removes general weakness and improves weight.
• It cures malaria fever.
• Gurgling with powder of its seeds mixed with cardimum powder and alum removesmouth problems.
• It relieves centipede bite pain when the cream of its fruits mixed with rock salt and
vegetable oil is applied locally.
• It removes acidity, increases eye sight and kills ringworms.
Information on the traditional uses and properties of herbs provided on the site is for
educational use only, and is not intended as medical advice. Every attempt has been
made for accuracy but none is guaranteed. Many traditional uses and properties of this
herb have not been validated by the FDA. If you have any serious health concern you
should consult with your health care practitioner before self administering this herb.