English Name:- Celery fruits.
Botanical Name:- Apium graveolens.
Parts Used:- Roots and fruits.
Habit:- An annual herb, about 2-3 feet high leaves are deeply dissected, flowers white in
small umbels, Fruits ovals and yellow.
Chemical Constituents:- Plant contains Volatile oil of light yellow color, which contains
sulphur, apoil (poisonous substances, Glucoside (Apiin) Albumin, Gum, minerals.
Actions:- Bitter, stomachic, Astringent Tonic, Aromatic, Digestive, Carminative,
Stimulant, Diuretic, Anthelmintic, Uterine contraction.
Used In:- Rheumatism Abdominal pain, Flatulence, Vomiting, Indigestion, Toothache,
worms infestation, Urine trouble, Bronchitis, Asthma, Calculii, Liver and Spleen trouble.
• This is one of the popular herbs recognized for its strong aromatic flavor.
• This herb is very low choleric. It helps reduce body weight and blood cholesterol levels.
• Its leaves are a rich source of flavonoid anti oxidant and cancer protecting and immune
boosting. This herb is regarded as functional food.
• Its leaves are a good source of vitamin A and Beta-carotene which are natural anti
oxidants and maintain healthy mucus membranes and skin. It cures night blindness and
protects from lung and oral cavity cancers.
• This herb contains folic acid, riboflavin, niacin and vitamin C essential for metabolism.
• This fresh herb is an excellent source of Vitamin K which increases bone mass. It helps
cure Alzheimer’s disease.
• This herb is also a good source of minerals like potassium,sodium, calcium etc. which
maintain body health and regulate heart rate and blood pressure.
• The leaves and seeds of this herb contain many essential volatile oils which are very
• Its seeds and roots are diuretic and remove excess water the body through urine.
• This herb helps breast milk secretion and acts as a general tonic for the body.
• It is useful in regulating the functioning of liver and spleen.
• During cold and fevers its intake with water is very beneficial.
• Its seeds mixed with rock salt are highly beneficial in stomach disorders and stomach
• It removes abdominal pain, vomiting, indigestion, toothache and worm infections.
Information on the traditional uses and properties of herbs provided on the site is for
educational use only, and is not intended as medical advice. Every attempt has been
made for accuracy but none is guaranteed. Many traditional uses and properties of this
herb have not been validated by the FDA. If you have any serious health concern you
should consult with your health care practitioner before self administering this herb.