English Name:- Bamboo
Botanical Name:- Bombusa arundinacea
Family:- POACEAE (GRAMINAE)
Parts- Used:- Stem and young shoots.
Habit:- A giant bamboo with stout root stalks, the clump reaching 50-60 feet high/stem
Chemical Constituents:- Stem Contains: Cyanogenic glucoside, Taxiphyllin, Solid
accumulation- Banslochan, Liquid-accumulation in hollow inter nodes is tabashin and
Actions:- Expectorant, stimulant, Tonic, Aphrodisiac, Anti spasmogenic, Anti thirst.
Used In:- Culms: Shoot mixed with lime, applied externally on cuts & wounds, used
internally to cure blood tuberculosis, Bronchitis, Asthma, Bans lochan is also useful in
Tuberculosis, Asthma, Leprosy; Extract of the young aerial shoots is blood purifier and
also useful in leucoderma and inflammation.
• It is use in manufacturing building materials, carpentry, farming, forestry, hunting and
• It is used as fuel and lighting and making pulp and paper.
• Its culms are largely used in making tools, handles, weapons, furniture, musical
instruments, handicrafts etc.
• Its leaves are sweet and astringent cooling emmenagogue, ophthalmic, vulnerary,
constipating and febrifuging.
• Its leaves are urticant they are used in food or criminal poisoning.
• Bamboo shoots as ornamental and boundary makers and sporting banana plants.
• Its extract is used to treat various inflammatoryconditions.
• It sprouts are acrid, bitter and laxative and are helpful in inflammations, ulcers and
• Split stamps of Bamboo are used in making baskets, fences, roofs and roof tiles.
• In India it is used for making paper since it provide good quality of paper pulp.
• Its resin is astringent cooling expectorant and diuretic and is used to treat infantile
• Bamboo is used as an abortifacient for kidney troubles.
• Bamboo should not be used by pregnant and breast feeding mothers unless prescribed
Information on the traditional uses and properties of herbs provided on the site is for
educational use only, and is not intended as medical advice. Every attempt has been
made for accuracy but none is guaranteed. Many traditional uses and properties of this
herb have not been validated by the FDA. If you have any serious health concern you
should consult with your health care practitioner before self administering this herb.